Monday, August 08, 2011

God Bless Wifi

So far day 2 has been 100% better than day one! And it all started when one of my housemates told me that the casa where I’m staying has wifi. The clouds opened, angels started singing and I’m pretty sure I saw the face of God in John from New York City. No more will I have to wonder the streets asking store owners in broken Spanish with the hand motion of typing on a typewriter only to have them look at me like I’m a fool. No longer will I have to sit alone in my room feeling so lonely I can’t think about anything else. Aint technology grand! Yes, yes, it is.

After the good word was shared, I went with some of my housemates to the school. My host house is more like a hotel, than a guest house. There are about 8 students living here, plus the four in the family. It’s a huge place with a big garden and patio inside. We do everything outside it seems, even school, which is very cool because the weather is just unbeatable! Highs in the mid-70s, lows in the 60s with rain showers in the afternoon and evening. I’ll take that any day compared to the 95+ humid summers of DC.

At school I met my teacher, Carmen. She’s great! And I learned she turned 30 one day before me. Cancers unite! We spent the first hour just talking…she was asking me questions in Spanish, and I was responding in horrible broken Spanish. But it was good! I felt like I remembered and could understand more than I thought. That was encouraging…until we started getting into “ser” and “estar.” Don’t even ask. I have no clue. Carmen has her work cut out for her.

So far I’ve signed up for Clase de la playa (class at the beach) on Wednesday, Clase de cocina (cooking class) on Thursday and I’m going to a salsa class this afternoon. That should be interesting…white girl with no rhythm and no knowledge of Spanish trying to dance la salsa. Oh boy…that’s a recipe for disaster…or maybe a few laughs at least. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Antigua – 2, Autumn – 1…I’m catching up sucka! You better be ready.

2 Comments:

At Monday, August 08, 2011, Anonymous Aspen said...

One day and already 100% better?! Think what it's gonna be like on day 15?! Whoa nelly! And I think Daven and I are as happy about the wifi as you are.

 
At Monday, August 08, 2011, Anonymous Trev said...

my baby sister the world traveler. ?que bueno? i am loving the whole online play-by-play too, so don't tire of that. that's some good stuff right thur. can't wait to see some pics. Paula and Amparo (Guatematecas) are LOOOOVIN that you're there, so you already have some prayers en espanol goin up, too. love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home