Monday, August 08, 2011

Antigua, Day 1

Well. So far I’ve learned I know exactly no helpful Spanish. It’s been a tough few hours, especially since my host family doesn’t speak any English. But I’m muddling through and putting on my “Stupid American” hat. I’m wearing it quite well, I must say.

Antigua is beautiful! The mountains are so green and lush, the brightly colored houses with their secret gardens inside, the quaint cobblestone streets that are impossible to walk on with any measure of confidence. It truly is a very unique town. Plus, on the drive leaving Guatemala City, we saw a man herding goats on the street…right in front of a Domino’s Pizza…how’s the for old world meets new world.

I’ve only been here a few hours and I’ve had the high of going out and discovering the town on my own, and the low of realizing I have no one here to share it with. So far I can’t say I’m a fan of traveling by myself. I want someone to be with me to discover new things together. I want someone who sees things I don’t see. I want someone who stretches me to do things I wouldn’t do on my own. Because I know what I would do on my own…find an American bar with wifi to connect with all those people I wish were here with me, then come back to my room and write about how I wish someone was with me.

So as I sit here in my room listening to the torrential downpour going on outside…I’m hopeful for these next few weeks, but all the same, blue about going it alone. But that’s what this whole trip was about, que no? Going it alone? Hoping it gets easier. Until tomorrow….

1 Comments:

At Monday, August 08, 2011, Anonymous Aspen said...

It's all I can to not to book a ticket this minute and go down there with you. But alas, like you said...this trip is about YOU! I miss you so much and burst into tears while reading this. Love you sister. Embrace all that it has to offer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home